Snowshoeing can be dangerous and you must prepare in advance by dressing for the elements and bringing the right gear in case of an emergency. You must remember that you are going outdoors in a cold
environment and whenever there is cold, there is always a chance of hypothermia. When you take your first step on your snowshoes, you should always ask the same question to yourself. "Do I have enough food and protection to stay overnight if I injure myself?" You never know what is going to happen on a bright, sunny, calm day. It's better to carry a little extra and be safe. When I am done for the day, I always replace anything I've used for that day in my fanny pack. That way, whenever I snowshoe again, I always know that I have the necessary gear in my fanny pack.
What Supplies To Bring:
1) First Aid Kit: I use a small zip lock bag for my first aid kit as the bag keeps everything inside dry. These are some of the items that I carry. You may add or delete some items based on your needs. The kit takes up very little space in my fanny pack and I rarely ever use the first aid kit. It is always there if I ever need it. Most of the items were bought at a discount store that sells trial samples. They come in their own individual small packs.
- Pain reliever pills
- Multiple size Band-Aids
- Sewing Kit (The kind you get in your hotel room.)
- Gauze for bruises
- Antiseptic cream
- Moleskin in case of blisters
- Cotton balls
- Tissue pack
- Anti-bacterial creme
- Pre-moistened towelette
- Insect bite ointment
- Tongue depressor for splint
- Duct tape
3) Flashlight or headlamp
5) Map and compass
8) High energy bars
9) Trail mix
12) Dry matches
13) Nylon cord
14) Small pair of binoculars
15) Small space blanket (double one)
16) GPS (optional)
17) Cell phone (optional)
18) Extra clothing (indicated in the next section)
Always be prepared by deciding on what to bring snowshoeing before you start your hike for the day.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Kite Surfing At First Encounter Beach On Cape Cod.
Yesterday was a windy, windy day and perfect for kite surfing on the creek behind First Encounter Beach. It was fun to watch the 2 kite surfers as they did their maneuvers. (Click on blog link to see other photo.) In the 2nd photograph, the kite surfer jumped so high in the air, I got … Continue reading Kite Surfing At First Encounter Beach On Cape Cod.
Lots Of Least Terns Out On The Sandbar At Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod.
We could hear the Least Terns squawking way out on the sand bar as we walked down Coast Guard Beach. There were hundreds of them out there. And then something scared them. I loved this photograph as they started to fly away. What do you think?
Love The Face On This American Lady Butterfly Here On Cape Cod!
The butterflies were still around here on Cape Cod last week when I saw this American Lady land on one of my Zinnias. Look at that face! You can see in the 2nd photograph how camouflaged they look when their wings are folded up. We had quite a few of them around this past summer. … Continue reading Love The Face On This American Lady Butterfly Here On Cape Cod!