It makes absolutely no sense to purchase an expensive PFD if you don't know how to keep
your PFD safe. Take care of your PFD and your PFD will take care of you. The following are some helpful hints and tips to help you maintain your PFD.
- If you try to alter a PFD, the warrantee will not be valid. PFD's are manufactured to specifications for optimal safety. Adding hooks, pockets, etc. will hinder the PFD performance and might lead to a disaster.
- Don't leave a PFD in direct sunlight for long periods of time. Do not dry the PFD in the sun. The heat and the sun will weaken the PFD.
- Don't dry a PFD using a dryer, a heater, a radiator or any other heat source.
- Always rinse a PFD in fresh water after use and especially if the PFD has been in salt water.
- Never leave a PFD in a damp place with no air circulation. Never leave a damp PFD in a plastic sealed bag. Also store a PFD in a well ventilated area.
- Always make sure that all snaps, hooks, pockets, tightening latches work properly. Always make sure there are no tears in the fabric.
- Always jump in the water about twice a year to make sure you float wearing the PFD.
- Always unload the pockets, take the knife off, etc. when washing the PFD.
- Always spray the PFD with a UV protectant spray at least two or three times a year.
- Don't leave the PFD at the bottom of a heavy pile of kayaking gear as the foam will lose buoyancy.
- Always hang the PFD on a wide hanger to drip dry after washing.
- Make sure the PFD has no mildew.
- Realize that all PFD's will deteriorate over time and all will need replacing. Just realize when it is time to replace a PFD as this is the most important kayaking gear.
Have fun paddling and don't forget to take care of your PFD when you return from your paddle.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Kite Surfing At First Encounter Beach On Cape Cod.
Yesterday was a windy, windy day and perfect for kite surfing on the creek behind First Encounter Beach. It was fun to watch the 2 kite surfers as they did their maneuvers. (Click on blog link to see other photo.) In the 2nd photograph, the kite surfer jumped so high in the air, I got … Continue reading Kite Surfing At First Encounter Beach On Cape Cod.
Lots Of Least Terns Out On The Sandbar At Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod.
We could hear the Least Terns squawking way out on the sand bar as we walked down Coast Guard Beach. There were hundreds of them out there. And then something scared them. I loved this photograph as they started to fly away. What do you think?
Love The Face On This American Lady Butterfly Here On Cape Cod!
The butterflies were still around here on Cape Cod last week when I saw this American Lady land on one of my Zinnias. Look at that face! You can see in the 2nd photograph how camouflaged they look when their wings are folded up. We had quite a few of them around this past summer. … Continue reading Love The Face On This American Lady Butterfly Here On Cape Cod!