It makes absolutely no sense to purchase an expensive PFD if you don't know how to keep
your PFD safe. Take care of your PFD and your PFD will take care of you. The following are some helpful hints and tips to help you maintain your PFD.
- If you try to alter a PFD, the warrantee will not be valid. PFD's are manufactured to specifications for optimal safety. Adding hooks, pockets, etc. will hinder the PFD performance and might lead to a disaster.
- Don't leave a PFD in direct sunlight for long periods of time. Do not dry the PFD in the sun. The heat and the sun will weaken the PFD.
- Don't dry a PFD using a dryer, a heater, a radiator or any other heat source.
- Always rinse a PFD in fresh water after use and especially if the PFD has been in salt water.
- Never leave a PFD in a damp place with no air circulation. Never leave a damp PFD in a plastic sealed bag. Also store a PFD in a well ventilated area.
- Always make sure that all snaps, hooks, pockets, tightening latches work properly. Always make sure there are no tears in the fabric.
- Always jump in the water about twice a year to make sure you float wearing the PFD.
- Always unload the pockets, take the knife off, etc. when washing the PFD.
- Always spray the PFD with a UV protectant spray at least two or three times a year.
- Don't leave the PFD at the bottom of a heavy pile of kayaking gear as the foam will lose buoyancy.
- Always hang the PFD on a wide hanger to drip dry after washing.
- Make sure the PFD has no mildew.
- Realize that all PFD's will deteriorate over time and all will need replacing. Just realize when it is time to replace a PFD as this is the most important kayaking gear.
Have fun paddling and don't forget to take care of your PFD when you return from your paddle.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
West Heartbreak Hill Loop Trail At Nickerson State Park On Cape Cod!
I love hiking at Nickerson State Park, especially offseason. You can pick one of the trails on the map of make your own using the AllTrails app. We hiked the West Heartbreak Hill Loop Trail yesterday and it was so pretty. (Click on blog link for other photo.) There are so many variations, you can … Continue reading West Heartbreak Hill Loop Trail At Nickerson State Park On Cape Cod!
Whale Bones At The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary On Cape Cod.
The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary is a great place to take the whole family. There is so many different things to see, any time of the year. As you head out on the main trail from the visitors center, you will see a variety of whale bones on the left of the trail. They are … Continue reading Whale Bones At The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary On Cape Cod.
The Berries Of The Bearberry Plants Are Bright Red Now On Cape Cod.
The berries on the Bearberry plants are bright red this time of the year here on Cape Cod. They make for a very festive carpet along the sides of the trails. (Click on blog link for other photo.) In the early summer the tiny flowers on the Bearberry plants are bell-shaped and whitish pink with … Continue reading The Berries Of The Bearberry Plants Are Bright Red Now On Cape Cod.