It makes absolutely no sense to purchase an expensive PFD if you don't know how to keep
your PFD safe. Take care of your PFD and your PFD will take care of you. The following are some helpful hints and tips to help you maintain your PFD.
- If you try to alter a PFD, the warrantee will not be valid. PFD's are manufactured to specifications for optimal safety. Adding hooks, pockets, etc. will hinder the PFD performance and might lead to a disaster.
- Don't leave a PFD in direct sunlight for long periods of time. Do not dry the PFD in the sun. The heat and the sun will weaken the PFD.
- Don't dry a PFD using a dryer, a heater, a radiator or any other heat source.
- Always rinse a PFD in fresh water after use and especially if the PFD has been in salt water.
- Never leave a PFD in a damp place with no air circulation. Never leave a damp PFD in a plastic sealed bag. Also store a PFD in a well ventilated area.
- Always make sure that all snaps, hooks, pockets, tightening latches work properly. Always make sure there are no tears in the fabric.
- Always jump in the water about twice a year to make sure you float wearing the PFD.
- Always unload the pockets, take the knife off, etc. when washing the PFD.
- Always spray the PFD with a UV protectant spray at least two or three times a year.
- Don't leave the PFD at the bottom of a heavy pile of kayaking gear as the foam will lose buoyancy.
- Always hang the PFD on a wide hanger to drip dry after washing.
- Make sure the PFD has no mildew.
- Realize that all PFD's will deteriorate over time and all will need replacing. Just realize when it is time to replace a PFD as this is the most important kayaking gear.
Have fun paddling and don't forget to take care of your PFD when you return from your paddle.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Loved This Great Blue Heron Stalking His Next Meal On Cape Cod.
The Great Blue Heron is my very favorite bird! I love its features and the majestic way it moves. We were walking the Salt Pond Trail and saw this Great Blue looking for his next meal. Beautiful bird, don’t you think?
Gorgeous Sunset Over Cape Cod Bay At Boat Meadow
Last night’s sunset was just beautiful! I was heading out to the post office when I saw the colorful hues on the horizon and made a detour to Boat Meadow Beach. The sun was just setting on the horizon. Maybe this is the beginning of those spectacular winter sunsets! So pretty, don’t you think?
Love The Christmas Train At Snow's In Orleans On Cape Cod!
It’s the time of the year to go to Snow’s in Orleans and see their beautiful Christmas train exhibit. It is always a treat! And, din't forget to visit their other model train exhibits in the back of the store. Snow’s also has an amazing room filled with anything you can imagine for the holidays. … Continue reading Love The Christmas Train At Snow’s In Orleans On Cape Cod!