The following is a list of gear that should be taken on all day paddles in order to minimize the risk of any accidents occurring:
Don't forget to always leave a paddling itinerary with someone and always paddle with another person.
- PFD - personal floatation device
- Spray skirt
- Bilge pump
- Spare paddle
- Tow line
- First aid kit with personal medicine and space blanket
- Marine VHF radio
- Cell Phone
- Tide Charts (or at least know the tide schedule)
- Weather radio
- Day/night distress signal (flares, mirror, whistle, blinking lights, etc.)
- Spare set of dry clothes
- Safety knife
- Paddle float
- Glass holder to keep glasses from falling off
- Repair kit (including pliers, nuts, bolts, tape, etc.)
- Paddle leash
- Food, high energy bars and snack
- Lip sunscreen, balm
- Dry Bags
- Paddling Jacket
- Spare eyeglasses
- Pogies or neoprene gloves (depending on the weather)
- Wetsuit, drysuit (depending on the weather)
- Neoprene hood (depending on the weather)
- Fleece top & pants (depending on the weather)
- Fleece cap (depending on the weather)
- Neoprene boots
- All overnight camping equipment (see hiking & backpacking section)
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Colorful Scotch Broom Wildflowers On Cape Cod.
The bright yellow color with a hint of orange of the Scotch Broom caught my eye the other day as I was walking to the beach. The Scotch Broom is a stiffly branched shrub with 1″ yellow pea-shaped flowers near the end of the branches. The plant grows 3-5 feet and the flowers bloom in … Continue reading Colorful Scotch Broom Wildflowers On Cape Cod.
Colorful Ruddy Turnstone At The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary On Cape Cod.
If you haven’t been to the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary at low tide, put it on your list. You can walk all the way out to the beach and you never know what you will see and you’re never disappointed! I saw this Ruddy Turnstone, and many more, the other day. There were so many … Continue reading Colorful Ruddy Turnstone At The Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary On Cape Cod.
Stunning White Star Chickweed Wildflowers On Cape Cod!
If you want to see gorgeous Starwort Chickweed wildflowers, go to Fort Hill in Eastham. They are everywhere along the side of the trails in the meadows. The Star Chickweed wildflower is just magnificent, but it is so small that you might miss it or its pretty colors. As they start to go by, the … Continue reading Stunning White Star Chickweed Wildflowers On Cape Cod!