The following is a list of gear that should be taken on all day paddles in order to minimize the risk of any accidents occurring:
Don't forget to always leave a paddling itinerary with someone and always paddle with another person.
- PFD - personal floatation device
- Spray skirt
- Bilge pump
- Spare paddle
- Tow line
- First aid kit with personal medicine and space blanket
- Marine VHF radio
- Cell Phone
- Tide Charts (or at least know the tide schedule)
- Weather radio
- Day/night distress signal (flares, mirror, whistle, blinking lights, etc.)
- Spare set of dry clothes
- Safety knife
- Paddle float
- Glass holder to keep glasses from falling off
- Repair kit (including pliers, nuts, bolts, tape, etc.)
- Paddle leash
- Food, high energy bars and snack
- Lip sunscreen, balm
- Dry Bags
- Paddling Jacket
- Spare eyeglasses
- Pogies or neoprene gloves (depending on the weather)
- Wetsuit, drysuit (depending on the weather)
- Neoprene hood (depending on the weather)
- Fleece top & pants (depending on the weather)
- Fleece cap (depending on the weather)
- Neoprene boots
- All overnight camping equipment (see hiking & backpacking section)
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Beautiful Bi-Colored Crown Vetch Wildflowers On Cape Cod.
Crown Vetch wildflowers are a creeping plant with bi-colored flowers that form a golf ball size cluster at the end of the stalks. They make a lovely ground cover. They bloom the entire summer from June through August. You can find them along many of the trails as well as along the sides of roads … Continue reading Beautiful Bi-Colored Crown Vetch Wildflowers On Cape Cod.
Lots Of Seals Off Of Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod!
There are so many new and huge sandbars along Coast Guard Beach this summer, there is sure to be an influx of seals hanging around. That’s exactly what we saw as we took a walk down the beach at low tide yesterday. (Click on blog link for other photo.) You could hear the cacophony of … Continue reading Lots Of Seals Off Of Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod!
The Boardwalk On The Red Maple Swamp Trail On Cape Cod.
The boardwalk on the Red Maple Swamp Trail at Fort Hill is lush this summer. It’s a great hike over the swamp and you’re sure to see lots of wildflowers and hear the diversity of birds singing in the trees. It’s one of our favorite hikes!