The following is a list of gear that should be taken on all day paddles in order to minimize the risk of any accidents occurring:
Don't forget to always leave a paddling itinerary with someone and always paddle with another person.
- PFD - personal floatation device
- Spray skirt
- Bilge pump
- Spare paddle
- Tow line
- First aid kit with personal medicine and space blanket
- Marine VHF radio
- Cell Phone
- Tide Charts (or at least know the tide schedule)
- Weather radio
- Day/night distress signal (flares, mirror, whistle, blinking lights, etc.)
- Spare set of dry clothes
- Safety knife
- Paddle float
- Glass holder to keep glasses from falling off
- Repair kit (including pliers, nuts, bolts, tape, etc.)
- Paddle leash
- Food, high energy bars and snack
- Lip sunscreen, balm
- Dry Bags
- Paddling Jacket
- Spare eyeglasses
- Pogies or neoprene gloves (depending on the weather)
- Wetsuit, drysuit (depending on the weather)
- Neoprene hood (depending on the weather)
- Fleece top & pants (depending on the weather)
- Fleece cap (depending on the weather)
- Neoprene boots
- All overnight camping equipment (see hiking & backpacking section)
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
High Tide At The Salt Pond In Eastham On Cape Cod.
A few years ago, the National Park Service installed a moveable bridge by the salt pond near the Visitors Center in Eastham. It goes up and down with the tide and you can usually get across, unless the tide is extremely high. You can see how high the tide was the amount of grass that … Continue reading High Tide At The Salt Pond In Eastham On Cape Cod.
Always Changing Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod.
Yesterday was a beautiful day on Cape Cod… sunny and windy. We took a ride to Coast Guard Beach to picnic in the car and then take a walk on the beach. It was pretty warm at our house so we didn’t even think of bringing our winter parkas. That was a mistake. (Click on … Continue reading Always Changing Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod.
Late Afternoon Sun At First Encounter Beach On Cape Cod.
It was late afternoon at First Encounter Beach and low tide too. I loved how the sun looked in the sky as I walked along the beach. What do you think?