Jake Burton Historical Moment (Burton Snowboards)

Post your snow photographs, stories or questions on winter adventure (Snowshoeing, Skiing, Snowboarding, etc.) and winter gear.
PT
OE Founder
OE Founder

Jake Burton Historical Moment (Burton Snowboards)

Post by PT »

A1232060-05B2-4CF6-8FBE-0AEFD8854E7D.jpeg
A1232060-05B2-4CF6-8FBE-0AEFD8854E7D.jpeg (72.64 KiB) Viewed 123 times

In the year 1977, I was in Londonderry VT skiing at Magic Mountain for the winter. But one Saturday day, it was a bit raw, damp, foggy weather and I decided to not ski and just take a little walk through Londonderry.

I saw an interesting building and I decided to go in to see what was going on. I said to the person working, “What is this all about?” As I was an avid surfer on the East Coast, I had seen what looked like a very small surfboard (or a very large skateboard) with 2 skegs on the side of a wooden board. He turned to me and said something about revolutionizing the skiing industry by surfing on the snow.

I was hooked on this new idea and concept. I said “What’s your name?” He said “Jake Burton.”

We talked for a while and I purchased his snowboard. Little did I know that I talking and witnessing history in the making.

PS: I never did like the concept of the orange cord and handle on the snowboard. But I wish I still had that orange cord and handle today. :D
"No limits... No Boundaries. Seeing Through Outdoor Eyes."