I Met Jake Burton When He Just Started

Questions and information on techniques, gear, how to, trails, etc. that will help everyone become a better snowboarder or back country skier. Snow boarding & back country skiing photographs and stories can also be posted here, too.
Forum rules
No adds will be allowed on the Outdoor Eyes Forum. Any member posting adds will be banned from the forum and the adds will be removed. Thank you for your cooperation.
PJT
Site Admin

I Met Jake Burton When He Just Started

Post by PJT »

burtonboard.jpg
burtonboard.jpg (54.1 KiB) Viewed 66 times

In 1977, I was walking through Londonderry Vermont. It was a misty, cold, damp, overcast day and it wasn't a good day for skiing. We had been skiing Magic Mountain for many years and sometimes you just took a day off when the conditions weren't exactly appealing. I came across this very small shop and I was curious to see what was inside. I opened the door and inside was Jake Burton.

Jake had a few barrels of water, some rubber, some wood and also I saw some blanks that looked like surfboards. Since I had surfed for many years, I asked him what he was making making. He said he was making a "Snowboard" and this is going to change the whole skiing industry. I said "How?" He said it was going to be like surfing on the snow. Since I loved to surf and I loved to ski, I said "I'll take one."

And... the rest is history.

I called Jake up when I was going to move to Colorado and I asked him if he would like the snowboard as it was one of his first snowboards. He said "Yes". But unfortunately I didn't get a chance to deliver the snowboard to him before I moved to Colorado. When I moved back to the East Coast, I had planned to give him another phone call. But tragically, he past away a few years ago.
...Seeing Through Outdoor Eyes

Return to “Snowboarding & Back Country Skiing Questions, Answers & Stories”