How To Choose The Right Hydration System

Discussion group on Cross Country Skiing techniques, gear, how to and stories. Post Cross Country Skiing photographs.
PT
Site Admin
Site Admin

How To Choose The Right Hydration System

Post by PT »

hydrationpack.jpg
hydrationpack.jpg (6.9 KiB) Viewed 404 times

How do I stay hydrated? The loss of water while hiking or paddling can impair your performance and potentially lead to a dangerous situation. Proper hydration is vital for everyone. On average, 64 ounces of water a day is considered optimal, but the need increases with exercise as well as other factors like heat and humidity. Choosing the right hydration system to fit your needs is extremely important.

What are you going to be doing?
Based on your type of activities, you might need more than one type of hydration system. If you are cross country skiing, hiking, kayaking, biking, snowshoeing, etc., one hydration system might not fit all your needs due to the amount of water you might need.

Read about "How To Choose The Right Hydration System"
https://www.outdooreyes.com/choosehydration.php3
Seeing Through Outdoor Eyes: Outdoor Eyes
Listen To The Hits On Indie Radio: 752.2 Hit Maker Radio
Brian21
1st Tier Forum Contributor

Re: How To Choose The Right Hydration System

Post by Brian21 »

Great article. Appreciate the information as I was always a bit confused with all the choices available.
Hopefully our environment can be saved for years to come with everyone's effort.
MtnClimber

Re: How To Choose The Right Hydration System

Post by MtnClimber »

If you are going to do any extensive hiking, especially with any elevation gain, selecting the correct hydration system (and the right amount of water) is extremely important. Having too much water in your backpack is just added weight and not having enough water in your backpack is worse than having too much water and too much extra weight. I've been in hiking altitude situations where I didn't have enough water left for my return trip if I went to my destination. I had to make a terrible choice of turning around to have enough water left. I had to purchase a larger hydration system later.
Climb high and climb safely.