Snowshoeing Up Hidden Valley In RMNP

Discussion group on Snowshoeing techniques, gear, how to and stories. Post Snowshoeing photographs.
PT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snowshoeing Up Hidden Valley In RMNP

Post by PT »

Hidden Valley was a local ski area attraction in Rocky Mountain National Park from 1955 - 1991. It is located off of Trail Ridge Road and still has the ski lodge at the base of the mountain and next to the parking lot.

You can snowshoe or attach skins to your downhill skis and get to the top of the ski area, at about 12,000'. All winter long, if there is snow on the trails, you'll see people snowshoeing or skiing the trails that are still wide enough as RMNP is letting the area go back to its natural state.

This time we decided to snowshoe to the top of the trails (as there is another section of the bowl higher up). It was a gorgeous day (a bit windy) and we seemed to capture the aura of Hidden Valley in the video.

Enjoy!
Seeing Through Outdoor Eyes: Outdoor Eyes
Listen To The Hits On Indie Radio: 752.2 Hit Maker Radio
RobinW
1st Tier Forum Contributor
1st Tier Forum Contributor

Re: Snowshoeing Up Hidden Valley In RMNP

Post by RobinW »

Great video! How did you make that video look old-time? It looks like it used to be a great skiing area. Too bad the ski area closed as I don't think there ever was another ski area in the National Parks?
Love all the National Parks that I've gone to. Hopefully I can see some new ones.