I need to purchase a new PFD for kayaking.

Discussion group on Kayaking & Canoeing techniques, gear, how to and stories. Post Kayaking & Canoeing photographs.
James
1st Tier Forum Contributor
1st Tier Forum Contributor

I need to purchase a new PFD for kayaking.

Post by James »

My PFD is very old that I use for kayaking and I need to replace mine. With all the choices out there, does anyone have any advice on which PFD to purchase and why? Thanks.
In my next life, I am going to come back as a real photographer. :D
PT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need to purchase a new PFD for kayaking.

Post by PT »

James wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:18 am My PFD is very old that I use for kayaking and I need to replace mine. With all the choices out there, does anyone have any advice on which PFD to purchase and why? Thanks.
kokatat.jpg
kokatat.jpg (24.81 KiB) Viewed 48 times
You didn't mention what type of kayaking you are referring to, so I will have to assume that it is on the ocean, lake or pond. If it is for white water, them the information is not correct. I have used a Kokatat PFD for, I think, almost 20 years and their design hasn't changed a lot over that time. There are 2 versions for both women and men.

Some of the Kokatat PFD advantages are:
1. Pockets are large enough for a VHF radio, waterproof camera, GPS, etc.
2. I have a knife and a whistle attached to the PFD.
3. I have a water bladder in the back pocket and the tube comes over to the front and slips under the strap to hold the tube.
4. I have a warning light attached to the top of the strap.
5. The pockets have key holders.
6. In the 3rd pocket I have room for Croakies (eyeglass holder, suntan lotion, etc.)

Here's a PFD article that will definitely help you out:
How To Choose A PFD

I hope the above has helped you a bit.
Seeing Through Outdoor Eyes: Outdoor Eyes
Listen To The Hits On Indie Radio: 752.2 Hit Maker Radio