Bird Photography: Technical Or Artistic?

Questions and information on techniques, gear, camera settings, how to, digital editing, etc. that will help everyone become a better bird photographer.
Forum rules
No adds will be allowed on the Outdoor Eyes Forum. Any member posting adds will be banned from the forum and the adds will be removed. Thank you for your cooperation.
PJT
Site Admin

Bird Photography: Technical Or Artistic?

Post by PJT »

birdphotograph.jpg
birdphotograph.jpg (12.2 KiB) Viewed 75 times

In a period from October 2003 and until April 2004, my photographic work almost exclusively consisted of bird photography. During this time I have been thinking about what makes a good bird photo. I have reached the conclusion that there are two completely different directions in which one can take bird photography: the technically minded, or the more artistically inspired photography.

The Technical Direction

By this I mean creating images that are primarily of interest to other people interested in ornithology. Lars S Madsen Photography © Lars S Madsen The photos falling into this category are often pure species portraits where the primary attention is paid to the look or behavior of the bird. Everything else than the bird is often unwanted in the photograph, and therefore cropped out, or thrown completely out of focus, and often an image of the bird in profile, front-lit and showing the bird’s characteristics are preferable.

Read about "Bird Photography: Technical Or Artistic?"
https://www.outdooreyes.com/photo130.php3
...Seeing Through Outdoor Eyes

Return to “Bird Photography Questions & Answers”