It makes absolutely no sense to purchase an expensive PFD if you don't know how to keep
your PFD safe. Take care of your PFD and your PFD will take care of you. The following are some helpful hints and tips to help you maintain your PFD.
- If you try to alter a PFD, the warrantee will not be valid. PFD's are manufactured to specifications for optimal safety. Adding hooks, pockets, etc. will hinder the PFD performance and might lead to a disaster.
- Don't leave a PFD in direct sunlight for long periods of time. Do not dry the PFD in the sun. The heat and the sun will weaken the PFD.
- Don't dry a PFD using a dryer, a heater, a radiator or any other heat source.
- Always rinse a PFD in fresh water after use and especially if the PFD has been in salt water.
- Never leave a PFD in a damp place with no air circulation. Never leave a damp PFD in a plastic sealed bag. Also store a PFD in a well ventilated area.
- Always make sure that all snaps, hooks, pockets, tightening latches work properly. Always make sure there are no tears in the fabric.
- Always jump in the water about twice a year to make sure you float wearing the PFD.
- Always unload the pockets, take the knife off, etc. when washing the PFD.
- Always spray the PFD with a UV protectant spray at least two or three times a year.
- Don't leave the PFD at the bottom of a heavy pile of kayaking gear as the foam will lose buoyancy.
- Always hang the PFD on a wide hanger to drip dry after washing.
- Make sure the PFD has no mildew.
- Realize that all PFD's will deteriorate over time and all will need replacing. Just realize when it is time to replace a PFD as this is the most important kayaking gear.
Have fun paddling and don't forget to take care of your PFD when you return from your paddle.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Great Crested Flycatcher In Our Backyard On Cape Cod
It was very cool when I got my binoculars and saw this Great Crested Flycatcher sitting on a branch in our backyard. I kept hearing this very distinct bird call for a couple of days but didn’t know what it was and knew I hadn’t heard it before. I ran in and got my camera … Continue reading Great Crested Flycatcher In Our Backyard On Cape Cod
Stunning White Pheasant Eye Narcissus Wildflower Here On Cape Cod
I saw this beautiful white wildflower along one of the trails here on Cape Cod and did some research to find out that it is a Pheasant Eye Narcissus. I had never seen one before. Have you? I thought the yellow and red center was just exquisite; what do you think?
Gorgeous Sunset At Boat Meadow Salt Marsh On Cape Cod
Even with all of the rain that we’ve been having lately, we’ve had some incredibly colorful sunsets. This sunset over the salt marsh at Boat Meadow Creek was so pretty. The colors changed so rapidly. I love the reflection on the water. Vibrant, don’t you think?