It makes absolutely no sense to purchase an expensive PFD if you don't know how to keep
your PFD safe. Take care of your PFD and your PFD will take care of you. The following are some helpful hints and tips to help you maintain your PFD.
- If you try to alter a PFD, the warrantee will not be valid. PFD's are manufactured to specifications for optimal safety. Adding hooks, pockets, etc. will hinder the PFD performance and might lead to a disaster.
- Don't leave a PFD in direct sunlight for long periods of time. Do not dry the PFD in the sun. The heat and the sun will weaken the PFD.
- Don't dry a PFD using a dryer, a heater, a radiator or any other heat source.
- Always rinse a PFD in fresh water after use and especially if the PFD has been in salt water.
- Never leave a PFD in a damp place with no air circulation. Never leave a damp PFD in a plastic sealed bag. Also store a PFD in a well ventilated area.
- Always make sure that all snaps, hooks, pockets, tightening latches work properly. Always make sure there are no tears in the fabric.
- Always jump in the water about twice a year to make sure you float wearing the PFD.
- Always unload the pockets, take the knife off, etc. when washing the PFD.
- Always spray the PFD with a UV protectant spray at least two or three times a year.
- Don't leave the PFD at the bottom of a heavy pile of kayaking gear as the foam will lose buoyancy.
- Always hang the PFD on a wide hanger to drip dry after washing.
- Make sure the PFD has no mildew.
- Realize that all PFD's will deteriorate over time and all will need replacing. Just realize when it is time to replace a PFD as this is the most important kayaking gear.
Have fun paddling and don't forget to take care of your PFD when you return from your paddle.
My Outdoor Eyes Photography Blog|
Coast Guard Beach On Cape Cod Was Gorgeous!
It was a beautiful morning walk from Doane Rock to Coast Guard Beach, part of the National Seashore. The sun was shining and the temps were perfect. I loved this photograph of the lifeguard chair on the beach before the crowds descended and with the surfers in the background. What do you think?
Beautiful Pink Everlasting Pea Wildflower On Cape Cod
The fields at Fort Hill in Eastham are filled with wild Everlasting Peas and they are so pretty as they dot the meadows. They are such a simple but elegant wildflower… one of my favorite’s. They grow all summer long so you should see them if you stop by. Have you seen a wild Everlasting … Continue reading Beautiful Pink Everlasting Pea Wildflower On Cape Cod
Early Morning Bike Ride To Rock Harbor On Cape Cod
It was a perfect day for an early morning bike ride to Rock Harbor and then along the Cape Cod Rails to Trails. There were no cars and no people. I had the place all to myself. Doesn’t get much batter! Rock Harbor looks beautiful, don’t you think? The clouds were just spectacular!